Monday, April 15, 2013

Sibling bonding...



The other day I called my daycare lady just to chat and see how the kiddos were doing that day.  If I get a chance during the day I will usually call just to see since they are on my mind.  Well that particular day she told me that Lukas and Megan had both been in trouble.  Lukas getting into trouble is a fairly common occurrence during the week...especially when he doesn't get a nap from being at preschool.  So when she told me he hit and pushed I was not terribly surprised, but when she said it was one of the younger ones she is (23 months old) so close to 2 I was shocked!  Usually if he has a tiff with someone at daycare it's another boy or older child over a toy and they push each other or get mad.  So to hear he pushed a one year old I was like "WHAT!"  It was a shock!  She said "yes he cried he realized right away that she shouldn't have and gave her hugs and felt bad."  She said though "that isn't what surprised me, Megan got mad that Lukas was upset and then she went after that 23 month old and pushed her and yelled at her in defense of her brother!"

OK...just to let you know my kids aren't violent crazy children.  They get along well with other kids and really enjoy other children's company.  Here's what went down...

Lukas was building a "Bowser Ship" (like from Mario) and Tenlee (the little girl from daycare) accidentally knocked over his ship he was making with blocks.  He got mad and hit her and shoved her.  Lukas then got into trouble and he felt bad afterward.  Of course we do not hit our friends at daycare...he knows this!  So he is all upset and crying.  Well I guess Megan went over to him to hug him and then she bee lined for the little girl and walked over and hit her!  Tenlee and Megan are best friends and follow each other around and play at daycare so I was surprised when I was told she did that.  Megan had a brief time out and was told not to hit daycare friends.  Afterward she did go give Tenlee a hug, and as 1 years olds do they were over their drama in minutes.  After talking to the daycare lady she said "if Megan gets into trouble she will go to Lukas so he can comfort her too."

This is not the first time Megan has got mad at someone for making Lukas mad.  When Lukas has a temper tantrum or goes to time out Megan will come over to me and shake her little finger at me with a stern look saying "no Mommy!, no do dat Dutdas!" 

Megan follows her brother, takes joy in things he likes, copies him, and she is sad when he isn't around.  Megan loves her brother without a doubt.  I think sticking up for your siblings is just something you do.  I know Lukas feels the same way about Megan.  He loves playing with her, running around with her, and talking to her.  He enjoys his little sister so much!

All that being said...I know what went down at daycare was bad and I feel bad for sweet little Tenlee when she really had no idea why everyone was so mad, but I love seeing that my children have that close bond and want to stick up for each other.  I hope they always have it...Lukas was one of the big reasons we wanted to have Megan.  We wanted him to have a sibling and not grow up alone.  Long after we are old and gone he will still have his little sister...a close friend...hopefully. 

No comments:

Post a Comment