Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Things I don't like, and things I do like


When it comes to sharing meals with my family I try to be daring and try things to show my children that it's a good thing to eat new foods.  Well I have learned over the last couple weeks that there are some foods I will never try again...well not try again any time soon.  Don't tell Lukas though...I still hold hope he is more like his Dad when it comes to food than me.  I was a picky eater when I was younger! 
The stuff I don't like:
First I learned I don't care for Quinoa.  We had a healthy food challenge at work and my boss made this Quinoa salad it looks something like this...Quinoa Salad, and I found out that I was not a fan of Quinoa.  It takes like nothing and I don't like the texture.  Here I thought I was really opening up to new foods and now I have learned I still have alot more opening up to do.  I wouldn't make this for my family, and I am pretty sure Lukas and my husband would be just fine with me not making it.
Second I found out that I am not a fan of sweet potatoes.  I read a food blog called How Sweet It Is and she made some sweet potato cream pasta stuff.  I originally thought 'hmmm, maybe this might not be so bad?'  Well the other night for supper I 'acidentally' bought Sweet Potato fries.  I tried them and thought they were OK.  My husband said he didn't mind them, but Lukas told me that he didn't want orange french fries.  He said "I like yellow fries right Mom?"  I said "you didn't even try your orange french fries, just give them a try...they make your eyes see better."  He told me "no, I don't want to...orange fries make me sad."  Well he wasn't a fan of them and neither was I...so I won't be making them for awhile.
Third is risotto.  It's like a rice thingy stuff.  Maybe I didn't make it right, but when I made it the rice had no flavor and I think Lukas thought it wasn't very good either.  I may revisit risotto, because I may have made it wrong.  Lukas and I both love rice, so I would think this is something we would've liked.  Perhaps a different recipe will help?

That being said...I have some loves right now too!
Things I love right now are:
First it's Panini sandwiches!  You can put whatever you want between to slices of french bread...toast the thing and whatever is inside the sandwich gets all melty and yummy!  I am sooooo happy I bought a panini maker for myself at black Friday last year!  Lukas loves these sandwiches too!  Not to mention you can open up the sucker and make steaks, chicken, kabobs...anything your heart desires to grill!
Second is Laughing Cow Cheese.  You can add these wedges into any kind of sauce and it adds some extra creamy flavor for only 35 calories!  They are also fun to eat with cracker for a snack!  They have a bunch of different flavors too.
Third and last thing are Sangrias.  I am in love with Sangrias!  Chop up a orange and apple...then pour your Sangria wine or a dry and sweet wine over them depending on the ratio you love and voila a perfectly thirst quenching, happy time, smiles, and all around perfect drink that makes the world a much happier place!

Oh and the pic above it Megan learning how to use her spoon.  That's when things get messy!

No comments:

Post a Comment