That's Lukas above...giving me that goofy little snarky smile while he is begging to come out of time out. Time outs have really worked with us for Lukas. If he doesn't pick up his toys, listen, say naughty things, or mean to one of us he gets a time out. There have been a few times that it didn't work and a few times we had to make it work (extra long time outs...you know how fun it is for a 3 year old to sit still).
Lukas was such a easy toddler. He didn't have his first time out until after he was 2 years old. He mostly listened when he was told to do something. As he got closer to the age of 3 and definitely right now being 3 years old he challenges us and voices his feelings about everything. When he was little he would cry, but do whatever we asked. He listened extremely well. He didn't voice at all that he didn't want to do it. As he got closer to 3 he started saying "no" and "I don't want to". We started using a little chair around the corner from the living room for his time out spot. I ask him to do something, and if he doesn't listen I will tell him once more. If he is still ignoring me that is when I say that he other does what I am asking (while counting to 3...yeah yeah I turned into my Mom lol) or he will get a time out. While he is in time out we try not to talk to him (it can be difficult sometimes), and we try to ignore him for at least a little bit of time. A time out needs to be just that 'a time out'. You don't get to sit and have fun and talk to us while in time out. Once he comes out of time out he has to do what we asked and then give us a hug.
I hope they keep working...I know as they get older you have to change your tactics, but for now time outs will work. I pray they work for Megan when she gets older!

No comments:
Post a Comment